Friday, January 25, 2013

Change

How do people change? That question was presented in grad class this evening (yes, I am writing this in the middle of class, but I'm trying to maintain attention and wanted to see if writing out some thoughts would help me remember and engage). What is your take on this question?

My initial response was people change from the heart, or from the inside out. That is not to say this is the end all-in-all answer, but this is definitely one way someone changes. What may be other ways people change? Another answer was within the context of vulnerability.

If someone can truly be themselves, without fear of reprisal, being shamed, attacked or experience any negative feedback from what they have shared, then I believe change will take place more effectively. If they take that risk and it doesn't work out for them, then they may never take that risk again. Risk is important within the context of counseling and group therapy. Not only from the perspective of the therapist, but also as the individuals who are involved as participants.

As a Marriage & Family Counseling major, change is something I am definitely interested in seeing take place. I'm also interested to see how I changed. I look at where I've come within my educational context and I'm amazed. I originally came from a Bible only, to more of an integrationist (who holds the truth of Scripture higher than psychology when they come in conflict with each other). Change, especially within the context of the counseling field can definitely be a good thing, which is helpful for you and I to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment