Monday, May 20, 2013

Needed Follow-Up to Previous Post

I apologize for the delay in this post. I meant to write this shortly after my last post. Phew! Two weeks just flew by before I was able to get to writing a follow-up.

I hope some of the dust has settled and would like to extend a warm invitation to dialogue. If I write something you don't agree with or perhaps may even be challenged by I encourage you to contact me with some of your thoughts. For those who have already taken advantage of the opportunity, I thank you.

I've definitely received some feedback from my last post, which is the impetus for the additional clarification. My previous post was in regards to "outreach" which I would like to further define as "reaching out to those who do not reside in Dublin, NH."

Each one of us (including myself) has a check-list of what is important when speaking with a non-believer.  Whether we realize it or not, this check-list may color what we say or how we act towards a non-believer. Anyway, I felt the need to clarify what I was intending to speak about.

Secondly, and I guess I must have done this a little too effectively, I created a straw-man to beat to a pulp. Though, I believe my previous post may have shed some light on an attitude which comes across sometimes, it is by no means reflective of everyone, all the time. My thanks to those who so strenuously requested I clarify this point.

I only seek to ask that we recognize what our own personal preferences are and weigh those against the eternal benefit of another human being. I am also guilty of sometimes developing my own comfort bubble which can seriously impact how I greet or interact with someone I may not naturally feel comfortable around. This is certainly an area in which I wish to grow. As followers of Jesus we are called to "get outside of our box" no matter how comfortable we may have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment