Wednesday, September 11, 2013

False Beliefs #psychology #counseling Take #2

Sometimes blogger drives me nuts. I'm sorry for those who may have tried to read the post from last night and you were unable to easily see the content. What I meant to say is below.


  • "I must be perfect."
  • "I must have everyone's love and approval."
  • "It is easier to avoid problems than to face them."
False beliefs. We all have them. They take root in our minds, hearts, and very belief structure. They poison our mind so we can't even really see through clear lenses to even know the glasses are fogged up. They are twisted minions of disaster. If they are not countered, challenged, gently addressed and corrected, then beliefs like the ones above can ruin relationships and lives. They can also become more deeply ingrained as we spend more and more time dwelling on what isn't true. A false belief I've struggled with is the fear that if everyone really knew me, then they wouldn't like me. No, I'm not talking about the casual, "Hey C how's it going?" I'm talking about really really knowing me. Vulnerability in that place can be extremely terrifying (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels the same way). Therefore, at times I've pushed people away, or sought to present to them a front that either makes me look appealing, or at the very least hides who I believe I really am.

The thing is, no matter how hard we choose to believe the lies we've ended up telling ourselves, we're actually building on a foundation of matchsticks. A foundation which will quickly go up in smoke the moment a match is lit to those false beliefs. They can't stand the test of truth because they aren't true. 

After understanding the existence of false beliefs, the following words of Jesus take on a whole new meaning. "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" (John 8:31-32). Truth sets us free! Truth counters the lies we've begun to believe to define us. You don't need to prove truth; you need to believe it. Countering false beliefs may take time and effort, but the truth is what will eventually cut through the tangle of lies we've gotten ourselves caught in. Truth statements are simple ways of checking the false thought and instead provide a source which we can let our mind dwell on, and as we do this, we are allowing our minds to become transformed. Scripture is full of great truth statements, but I'm going to only focus on one which may or may not be drawn directly from scripture. 

An example of a truth statement from my scenario is, "People really do love me. Letting them see who I really am will only deepen my appreciation for them and their love for me. Vulnerability is worth it."

What are a few examples of truth statements you could use to help counter the three false beliefs from above? Do you realize false beliefs, even in your own life, even exist? A lot of the time, false beliefs we hold are somehow connected to the fears we experience. Take a few moments to consider what makes you afraid, and then you might be able to tie it back to a belief you may hold about yourself or those around you. Let truth set you free today!

Clinton, T.E. & Ohlschlager, G. W. (2002). Competent Christian Counseling (1st ed.). Colorado Springs, Colo.: WaterBrook Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment