Saturday, February 8, 2014

(The) Good God


“Sabbath-keeping: check, Friday cleaning: check, Grocery shopping: check. Oh, hello. Welcome to this edition of the Friday e-mail. I’m reviewing my ‘to-do’ list and marking things off which I’ve completed this week. You know, I really enjoy ‘to-do’ lists because they act as a second-brain for me reminding me of tasks which I want to accomplish, but if I don’t write them down I might forget. Forgetting seems to be a malady of the human race and I’m certainly human.”

 “As I ponder it, the Sabbath is a reminder of sorts for me as well; a reminder of the goodness of God. I find I need this reminder, and need it often as my circumstances swirl around me. You see, for me anyway, if I’m not reminded of the goodness of God, then I can begin to question things as they come along. If I didn’t believe God was good and had my best interests at heart, then I’m more susceptible to the lies of the devil who desperately wants to shake my faith in my Good God. I’m not really interested in having that faith shaken, though testing it and strengthening it is something I believe God will do on occasion. Still, when those life events do come, and we all know they will, let’s find ourselves grounded on the truth that our God is Good.”

“The Sabbath is a great time to reflect on how good God really is. He knew I’d need a ‘recharge’ time every seven days. In our world of electronic devices I am becoming ever more cognizant of the need to recharge the batteries which run these devices. I think of airports and travel spots where it is not uncommon to see ‘charging stations’ available for every make of phone or gadget you could imagine. We were created in much the same way. We need time to recharge, reflect, take a break from work, and spend time with our Good God. He knew we’d fill up our days with profitable things so He built into our schedule an opportunity to meet with Him and recharge. If that is not the epitome of goodness, one looking out for the benefit of another, I’m not sure what is. In fact, I’d say it’s also an expression of His love for us. So not only is He good, but He loves us.” 

“May this Sabbath help bring to your mind the plethora of ways God has been showing you His goodness from this past week. Keep your eyes open for this reality, and never forget God is good!”

No comments:

Post a Comment