Friday, July 4, 2014

Accessibility to Relationship(s)

Happy Sabbath Dear Friends,
                This past Sunday at Harvest View Chapel we examined Galatians 6:2 which says, “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” As we continued to unpack this verse we see there are two roles implied: the role of the “giver” and the role of the “receiver.” Paul, the author of Galatians, in his exhortation to the “giver” does not tell them how exactly they are to go about bearing the burdens of others, he just tells them it needs to be done. Similarly, Paul does not lay out a list of ways the “receiver” should let the “giver” help them bear their burdens, but the admonition is implied.
                In studying this passage, I was struck by the simple yet complex ways of giving and receiving help with our burdens. I believe at the top of the list of practical ways we can “bear one another’s burdens” both as the “giver” and the “receiver” is an intentional commitment to being accessible. I know, right?! Easy. Not as easy as you might think.
                I learned to love the Sabbath while growing up because of the picture of accessibility created by my family. Friday nights were a highlight for me because of the sweet fellowship, quality time, and adventures which were in store for my siblings and me. Welcoming the Sabbath with prayer, sweet singing, and an intentional attitude of gratefulness for God’s blessings were only the start! From there we might play games, hear a book read to us, learn something new from Daddy, or spend hours in discussions about a myriad of topics. Not only were my siblings accessible, but my parents were also there in tangible ways which has set the framework for our relationships today. I know my family is accessible because of the time spent with them and if I have a burden I know they will help bear it with fervor and unction.
I share this example of accessibility from my own life as an illustration the power of accessibility can have when our burdens increase. We each know of the burdens we are carrying. I daresay this email has conjured up a few in your own mind, and although my intent is not to weigh you down, perhaps this Sabbath is an opportunity to make yourself accessible as the “receiver” to those “givers” you know are waiting to readily help lighten your load. If we string this example out even further, what would you say your accessibility level is when it comes to your relationship with God? Perhaps this Sabbath is the perfect opportunity to reconnect and break down any walls you’ve let begin to develop; God is waiting on the other side. I know it’s one thing to talk about accessibility and another to show it. So, if you find yourself struggling to find someone who is willing to help bear your burdens, please reach out to me.
May you enjoy this Sabbath with full accessibility to the Throne of Grace and to others around you.  Make good use of the time.
In His Love,

Clyde  

No comments:

Post a Comment