Friday, November 12, 2010

Adventures of a Wanderer in Jerusalem

Today is Friday. 'Well duh', some might say, but here in Israel that day takes on a whole new meaning. It's actually a double meaning because it is the muslims holy day and it is the beginning of Shabbat for the Jews. Shabbat is something near and dear to my heart as I've observed the sabbath all my life. There's something special about observing a day that you know is special to the Lord. I find it refreshing, invigorating, and an absolute life-saver. Many a time I've dragged myself through the week with nought but the sabbath to keep me going. So, with the arrival of Friday, I'd decided earlier this week that I wanted to begin the sabbath down at the Western Wall with my Jewish compatriots, and so I set off via bus for the W.W. and the Old City.

Unfortunately, because the Jews don't really appreciate lots of cameras in the secluded area of the W.W., I had to resort to an overlook above the W.W. from which to watch and take my photos. My fortune couldn't have been greater!! Arriving there before sundown, which is when Shabbat begins, I was a bit dismayed to see the railing filled with tourists and others desiring to take pictures of the wall. But a kind Texan welcomed me beside her by beckoning me up to the rail after she noticed me patiently waiting; I wasn't about to give up that position for the next hour+ of time.

Soon after the group from Texas vacated the look-out who should appear but 40+ Israeli Air Force men and women in their khaki uniforms! The Air Force khaki distinguishes this branch of the military from the Olive Green clad IDF (Israeli Defense Force...their normal military which is equivalent to our Army), but who would have thunk that the Air Force carry automatic weapons?! (Alright so that was a bit of a facetious comment as I know every branch of the military needs to carry weapons while on the ground, but I did think it amusing and a tad bit ironic). As excited as I was to share my perch with this group, I was even more over-joyed by the next group that followed the Air Force.

YESHIVA STUDENTS! I have no idea what age group this dynamic is made up of, but guessing from the looks of them, most of them were in high school and some in college. A whole big group of them (gestimated 30-50) poured into the look-out and took up residence. This was to be their prayer and singing location before approaching the Wall itself. I was overjoyed as I was treated to a full demonstration of their prayers, singing, and dancing. (At the end of the blog post I'm going to attach a short clip of them singing and dancing.) Their singing made my heart soar! I'm looking forward to the day when they'll know their true Savior King Jesus, and they'll sing with the same amount of energy and enthusiasm! This was definitely an adventure worth coming to Jerusalem for!

My final adventure was alas, not so joyous. I was walking up King David's Street, which is the walking thoroughfare through the middle of the Old City, headed towards Jaffa gate, when people started running down the street towards me. No joke, the people looked like waves rolling forwards amidst the harsh cry of "Jews!". I didn't know what was going on, but I decided I'd better step aside and not get entangled in any international incidents. At last the mob materialized into four or five Jews running down the street with a host of Arab shopkeepers giving chase. One of the Arabs had a hold of one of the Jews coats and was trying to slow him down. But the Jew tore free with his jacket intact and disappeared with his fellows down the street towards the Western Wall. Confused and wondering what had just happened, I continued on my way walking up the street, taking some pictures as I went. Near as I can tell as I passed by a couple shops that had some of their wares strewn about the street (and shopkeepers picking up after them), the Jews had decided to ransack the outside of a couple of shops on their way down to the Wall and then taken off running and the Arabs had come pounding after them like a swarm of hornets. I felt bad for the Arab shopkeepers and ashamed for those who, for whatever reason, perpetrated this unfortunate incident. But, nevertheless, it was an adventure worthy of noting.

Finally, I meandered outside the walls and enjoyed shooting night shots of the walls of Jerusalem (courtesy of D.A.'s small tripod, without which my shots would have been blurry). I really enjoy photography and this was an opportunity to make use of my hobby and make some memories for myself while on this trip. I then tramped home through the night and successfully survived the 2+ mile walk home, where I am writing this post. How thoughtful of me... :P Thus ends another day of adventures in Jerusalem.

1 comment:

  1. you are THERE! Where He walked.
    seeing this video made it all the more real, MORE videos, please :)

    ReplyDelete