Friday, November 5, 2010

Memory Lane

The Shuk. Sometime, you should experience it for yourself. But until you get that opportunity, I'll try and describe it a little bit (and for those who have frequented that bustling and busy hive of activity you will know what I am trying to describe. Hopefully you won't look down on my meager attempt to bring some life to the trip I took yesterday to this produce wonderland).


For those desiring a short and sweet explanation of what the Shuk really is, I'll try and sum it up in a sentence (perhaps two). It's a market where a lot of fresh produce is sold (as well as some other odds and ends). Well there ya go. That's it in a sentence (I actually did hold it to merely one...not bad if I don't say so myself).


Now for those who desire a little bit more detail and description of where we go to purchase our fresh fruits and vegetables. I would almost describe it as being held in several alleys but without the dark and dank feel the word ally conjures up. It's well lit and covered over by opaque rounded plastic, but it isn't very wide. It's length is a long city block with several smaller side 'streets' that also hold vendors. Almost EVERY fruit and vegetable imaginable is sold in the Shuk (though the time and season does also dictate what you can find there)! Flat stands holding tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, potatoes, onions, fresh corn, squash, dates, raisins, granola, apples, bananas, pears, kiwis, and much much more (including olive oil, fish, turkey, beef, and head coverings) stretch the length of both sides of the Shuk. Behind each stand resides an Arabic or Jewish shopkeeper hawking their wares with great vim and vigor (let me tell you it can be a bit overwhelming if visited for the first time). Mrs. A explained that shopping there can be a bit exhausting, but the prices can be cheaper than the regular grocery store and the wares are extremely fresh (she bought flat bread that was still warm!). Wow! I almost forgot to round out the picture for you.

In addition to above, imagine people filling the aisles like waves that ebb and flow, walking up and down the aisles, picking over the best fruits, talking to the vendors, telling them what they want, asking how much for this or that. Older and younger Jewish women with their hair tied up in buns covered by scarves of various sedate colors, Jewish men ancient and young complete with their thick brimmed black hats, prayer tassels, and side-curls shopping for the family groceries. Secular Jews marked merely by their yarmulke along with Arabs and completely secular Israelis also bustle through the market shopping for their various needs. The differences in people there are endless! I can't believe I almost forgot to describe the most fascinating part of the Shuk. Each has a story and a life in this special land.

Other countries boast similar ways of buying produce, but the Shuk is an experience all it's own that everybody should enjoy at least once in their lives.

Here's a picture that I am very tactfully providing for your benefit after attempting to describe my shopping experience. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and though I haven't written one thousand words, I'll hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment