Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tanks Ahoy!

(spoiler alert...guys may appreciate this post more than girls due to it's extensive metal content)I never realized how many things tanks could be used for! I had thought they were simply hunks of metal that shot large shells long distances, but I had my assumptions corrected after visiting the Armored Corp. museum and memorial in Latrun, Israel (about 160 tanks there). The trip was a birthday present on Monday for D.A. who turned sixteen and boy did he enjoy himself (and so did I and Mr. A).

Everything from troop transport to engineering, tanks provide the back-bone for the Israeli military. It was fascinating to see tanks whose sole purpose was to deploy a steel bridge over a river (or whatever else stands in their way). I espied one tank whose only job consisted of acting as a staging platform for other tanks and military things to be assembled on. Did you know there are tanks that are rocket launchers? Fascinating! Tanks are even used for plowing! haha. Can you imagine paying to have your snow removed by a tank?

"Hey Ma, could you stop the vacuum cleaner from making so much noise? I'm trying to watch tv here!"
"No, honey sorry. That's the tank outside bull dozing your snow fort."
"WHAT?!"
"Yeah, they cut us an extra special price, so I figured hey, why not employ a tank instead of a truck to clean up the snow this year."
"But I worked so hard on that thing Ma..."
"Sorry honey...." (evil grin)
(Maybe I should go into the business of Calvin & Hobbes imitation comics...just kidding).

Course they also pack some serious fire-power with heavy machine guns and their cannons. They literally are the modern day cannon...except they have tracks that allow them to be mobile and extremely dangerous! Israel as a nation is able to construct their own tanks by themselves! Now think about that for a second. A country the size of New Jersey and they can build their own tanks? Very dangerous (I wouldn't even trust NJ with tanks....hahaha...just had to throw in a poke at the 'armpit of the East coast' as my NJ friends call their own state). Oh, by the way, they could call up and mobilize over a million men in less than forty-eight hours. But then again, when you're surrounded by nations that hate your guts, you've gotta always be prepared. We in America haven't had to experience this in quite the same way and for that I'm extremely grateful.

I loved Latrun and I was very glad to have my assumptions about tanks corrected. I've only begun to scratch the surface of how awesome the tank museum was. I'm so glad I had this opportunity!

(a video was supposed to be uploaded with this post, but I'm afraid pictures will have to suffice. If you'd ever like to see them just let me know)



No comments:

Post a Comment