Friday, March 14, 2014

Reaction to a Visit to Recovering Grace Website

Sitting here I realize I'm doing the very thing I encourage others not to do, and that is react and write something from emotion. I've just spent some time skimming through the Recovering Grace website regarding some of the recent vitriol they are spewing regarding Bill Gothard (to read for yourself visit http://bit.ly/1gvelK3).

 Now, my point in reacting is not to defend or condone any action Bill Gothard may or may not have perpetrated. The fact of the matter is I can't speak to what did or did not happen. I have my own opinions regarding ATI/IBLP not all of which are a glowing report of the ministry, but I would have to say overall I've appreciated the ministry and benefit I've received in my own life from my experiences. Am I blind to the abject power structure which was in place? Absolutely not. I would say the hypocrisy I saw lived out in the lives of some ATI families was also a bit of a concern for me. Anyway I digress (if you are interested in continuing to hear more of my story, please let me know).

What is of greatest concern to me as I'm reading some of the material on #RecoveringGrace is the overwhelming bias which exudes from RG. Now, perhaps RG does not intend to provide any kind of balance to what they are reporting regarding Bill Gothard. If that is the case, then they are doing a pretty darn good job of smearing and making their point. Now, I realize they may have attempted to contact Mr. Gothard and he did not return any comment on their attempts, which I just have to say is his right! If he does not respond to your questions, then writing something based on a non-response is very shaky ground. In fact, one might call that an argument from silence. At times when there is no response that can itself be condemning but not necessarily every time. I'd have to say that just because Mr. Gothard chooses not to respond to accusations does not automatically validate those accusations. So if you visit RG be prepared to hear one-side of the story when there are always two sides to every story.

Another thing which concerns me is the claim I gathered from Recovering Grace regarding the intent of helping the healing journey of various categories of individuals who have "survived" ATI. Speaking from my professional capacity as a counseling clinician and student of counseling, I believe the continuation of the mud-slinging may be more detrimental to the healing process than is believed. Yes, each person should be able to tell their story. But where does telling the story stop and the healing begin? I agree the scab needs to be opened to the air so it can heal, but continuing to pick at it will not bring the needed healing. Instead, it will continue to stir up feelings of anger, bitterness and resentment. It may help establish a community of like-minded people who have "survived", but in the end if you don't let go of the hurt you're only doing more damage to yourself. Is the concept of forgiveness easy? Absolutely not! I make no claim to forgiveness or the process of forgiveness being easy. In fact, it may be forgiveness to release, rather than forgiveness to reconciliation. Healing is absolutely necessary but I would perhaps encourage it in a less public forum (retraumatizing individuals could be a very viable concern for some as they continue to read each story).

From visiting the Recovering Grace site only a few times here is what I see (as an ATI adult, as a counselor, as a person). I see a group of hurting people who are choosing to hold onto their hurt through banding together and casting blame. In reality, there are many different factors and choices which shaped your perception of God, your self-identity, and your faith. Perhaps blame should be cast but I would have to ask, "To what point?" To the saving of Mr. Gothards' soul? Is the end goal to publicly shame Mr. Gothard? Would that make everyone feel better? Like Jonah, I doubt most of the contributors to RG would like to see Bill in heaven. Personally, I think we are going to see him in heaven whether you like it or not (I know I hope to see him in heaven someday).
#BillGothard #ATI #IBLP

No comments:

Post a Comment