Saturday, April 6, 2013

Happy "Facebook" Birthday

With the advent of Facebook a whole new world of communication has emerged. Communication, which has drawn families and friends from longer distances together as they enjoy the content, pictures, and updates that are shared on the social behemoth. One of those tools is the notification when someone is having a birthday. One is able to post to their wall merely by going down the list and wishing them whatever you want to on their special day. At times, at least for me, it has become a contest to see how many birthday wishes are posted on my wall in a given year (in 2007 there were roughly 45, in 2008 approximately 55, 2009=83, 2010 was 95, 2011=about 80, 2012 down to roughly 61).Even though this has been in fun, I need to remind myself that my worth is not dependent on how many well wishes I get (or don't get) on my birthday. My worth is so much more than that (as is yours!).

 In years gone by, those wishes may have been expressed through cards, or notes, or even the verbal recognition of one's birthday. For you, which would have meant more? If I were to examine my own life, I would have to respond that the hand-written note or card was of so much more value than a drive-by post on my wall. Shoot, I've kept cards for years that I've been given from birthdays, graduations, or other special events (call me what you will, the re-reading of those expressions of love are special). I suppose I could also go back and read the well-wishes of those who have posted on my wall in years past, but for some reason it doesn't have the same clout. It would be one thing if friends were to post on my wall for my birthday, and then follow it up with additional posts throughout the year, but that rarely happens (after all, additional posts are where a relationship develops, whereas an occasional post is a blip on the radar). Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy it when people wish me a happy birthday, but for me this is a chance to put things into perspective.

If one were to dig a little bit deeper and examine the thrill one receives when they see how many "likes" or "birthday wishes" they have been given on their wall, one would find a consistent thought, namely, "I matter to someone else." Someone actually cared enough to write something on my wall, or wish me a happy birthday. The convenience with which Facebook allows us to do this is admirable, but can be hollow at times.

The fact remains that most people come to appreciate their birthday because that is the one day a year where others take stock of that person, and in one way or another, tell them how much they really matter. When I look at that thought I have to pause and say, "is this the message I really want to communicate only once a year?" The answer I come up with is no! If not, then let's take action, and intentionally express to others how much they matter to us (more than once a year). Life is built within relationships. You might be surprised the reaction you get when you tell them they really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment