Sunday, April 7, 2013

Waves (sound waves) #audiothinking

I love music! Though, I can't claim to be a music junky (defined as always has the radio on and can't stand silence), I've listened to my fair share. I grew up in a musical family and all of my 4 siblings played an instrument and sang, as did my parents. I tried the musical thing growing up, or more politically put, my parents tried to get me to try the music thing, and unfortunately it never stuck. Looking back now, I wish it had stuck my effectively as I've often wished I could effectively play an instrument (I dabble here and there but without any true discipline). Anyway, I digress from my point. I grew up in a musical family and thus was exposed to fairly solid musical tones, sounds etc. from a young age. This solid foundation in the music my family played, and the music which was encouraged in our family has set some phenomenal groundwork for my current hobby, that of audio engineering.

Audio engineering, or mixing as I may refer to it, is a fine art. One in fact, which I have a long way to go in my desire to improve in, so this is not to say that I've arrived because I haven't. Largely the skill of the engineer is found in the strength of his ears. An audio tech has to have solid ears. If one can't distinguish the different frequencies emitted by different instruments, voices, etc, then quite honestly, another line of employment or hobby should be sought after. With that being said, training ones ears to improve in this area is possible. Some may differ with that opinion, but I believe some improvement may be made with ear training. Sometimes we have never even thought to listen for what exists, and once a willing learner has been exposed to what to listen for, then improvement in that area can be made. The point I wish to make is audio engineering is subject to the tech who is mixing, and or the style of the performers. For example, in my volunteer work for a local church, where I've been privileged with the opportunity to mix, the style the congregation is aiming for is one mainly focused on audience participation, rather than a "performance" feel. This directive then impacts how I mix as I'm not going to mix as loud as I may like for the sake of the audience (plus I don't personally like it as loud as it could possibly be anyway). Conversely,  I'll also be mixing for a young adults gathering where they have openly encouraged me to push the sound, so I'll be increasing volume with some additional creative flairs (such as effects, etc.).

When I mix my goal is to balance what the audience would like to hear, with what I personally like to hear. When it comes to my own personal taste, I prefer mixing in such a way that all the instruments and voices may be heard clearly (so when you are looking at the platform and listening, you may go back and forth with your eyes and be able to clearly hear each instrument and vocalist as they contribute). That may sound silly to state, but it is not always as easy as it sounds (pun intended). If you think of sound frequencies as layers on a cake, my intent would be to keep the vocalists on top of the rest of the sound, thus treating them like frosting on a cake. Within Christian circles the lyrics are often what differentiates contemporary worship from other styles of music, so we want the vocalists to be clearly heard and understood. Next, would be the rhythmic instruments such as an acoustic guitar, piano, keys, and electric guitar (though at times I treat the electric guitar as frosting as well because of the frills and solos they often play). Finally, the bottom layer consists of the drums and bass guitar which end up driving the music. All of these layers work together to make up the waves of sound which the audience and technician hear. The differentiation of those instruments will be the topic of another discussion (one where EQ'ing or distinguishing the different sounds of each instrument will be discussed further).

 Similar to waves breaking evenly upon the seashore, the end goal would be to hear sound as a wave that breaks upon your ears in a clear and distinguished manner. At least that's what I'm listening for when I mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment